Rockport Sermon

Sunday, October 3, 2010

From the 2010 Desiring God National Conference

We just finished our last session at the 2010 Desiring God National Conference. There are several things for which I would like to comment. I would like to encourage you to subscribe to the podcast, or listen/watch the conference online by visiting the Desiring God website.

First, I would like to encourage you to specifically listen to to the sermon by Francis Chan, on humility. This session I would have to say was the most "emotional" for me as I listened to the truth and observed the passion with which this dear brother shared the Word of Christ.

Second, and probably the main point of this post is the fact that I am grateful for the time of fellowship the Lord gives at these types of events. The Lord providentially put me in touch with Herb and John, men from different parts of the country who share of love of the Gospel and were great encouragements. Second, I am grateful for the time that I was able to spend with John and Shannon Jordan (from Tennessee), share some laughs, and encouragement in the Lord.

It is possible for us to "listen to the sermons from home" in the privacy of our own home, study, time at the gym, commute, or wherever else you listen to your mp3 player. I submit to you that there is great value in gathering together with other believers, listening to the Word being taught, rejoicing together over the truth, challenging and exhorting each other, singing together, praying together, and doing so in a context that it outside the norm of your everyday experience. We do this every Sunday when we meet together.

This leads to another point. This point concerns community groups that meet throughout the week. It is healthy for us as believers, to meet together in homes, to "wrestle through" the Word together, and to seek God's face more than just at a cooperate gathering in large numbers. Perhaps the Lord might use the written text, video, or audio (all available online) as discussion starters for your family and for your small group gatherings.

It is my hope to post a few more thoughts on here concerning missions as well as some comments on the talk given by Rick Warren.

No comments: