Rockport Sermon

Monday, October 11, 2010

Beloved, let us love one another

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 1 John 4:7 ESV

A group called The Rizers have recently put together some scripture memory songs and this verse is included in one of the tracks.  On a side note I would highly recommend taking time to download these songs for free and use them with your family. 

The other morning I woke up around 3:00am and could not fall back asleep.  It turned out to be a blessing because I was able to do some reading and some praying (and a few facebook posts - I must confess).  As I was praying I was also meditating on the passage from 1 John 4:7 "Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God."

Love (in this verse) - agapao (greek).  The New American Standard Greek Lexicon defines this as: to welcome, to entertain, to be fond of.  John Piper gives great insight to the work of such love.  He says, "Love labors to enthrall us with what is eternally satisfying, namely, God."

Beloved, may we love one another!

No comments: