Rockport Sermon

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Post-Election Prayer (Or how to survive an Obama presidency as a conservative)

1 We give thanks to you, O God; we give thanks, for your name is near. We recount your wondrous deeds. 2 "At the set time that I appoint I will judge with equity. 3 When the earth totters, and all its inhabitants, it is I who keep steady its pillars. 4 I say to the boastful, 'Do not boast,' and to the wicked, 'Do not lift up your horn; 5 do not lift up your horn on high, or speak with haughty neck.'" 6 For not from the east or from the west and not from the wilderness comes lifting up, 7 but it is God who executes judgment, putting down one and lifting up another. 8 For in the hand of the LORD there is a cup with foaming wine, well mixed, and he pours out from it, and all the wicked of the earth shall drain it down to the dregs. 9 But I will declare it forever; I will sing praises to the God of Jacob. 10 All the horns of the wicked I will cut off, but the horns of the righteous shall be lifted up.
Psalm 75:1-10


Like most conservatives, I am greeting the Obama presidency with a great sense of dismay. It has nothing to do with his racial heritage. I'm honestly glad to see that barrier broken. It has to do with his policies. I am honestly concerned about the direction such a liberal politician will take this country. That being said, however, I am willing to pray for him as he takes his new place of office, and to seek the Lord for the good of our nation. That, I believe, is my civic (and Christian) duty according to Romans 13.

But how does a dyed-in-the-wool political conservative, who is also a believer and follower of Jesus Christ survive the next few years? Psalm 75 gives me direction as well as a great deal of encouragment that I'd like to share with you.

(1) Rivet your eyes on the Supremacy of God v 1 says, We give thanks to you, O God; we give thanks, for your name is near. We recount your wondrous deeds. So here is the question I must ask myself. Is God just as near today as he was yesterday...or last week...or 12 months ago? Is He not just as Sovereign? Psalm 90:2 says "Before the mountains were born Or You gave birth to the earth and the world, Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God." Knowing that, as I fix my eyes on Him and look back over his proven track record of faithfulness, I am encouraged about the future!

(2) Keep Listening to His Sovereign Word of Promise vv 2-5 continues as God speaks, "At the set time that I appoint I will judge with equity. When the earth totters, and all its inhabitants, it is I who keep steady its pillars. I say to the boastful, 'Do not boast,' and to the wicked, 'Do not lift up your horn; do not lift up your horn on high, or speak with haughty neck.'"

Men boast in small things – like elections! But men do not utlimately determine the course of this world, nor it’s final outcome! God alone remains the judge! And He tells us that He has set a day when all the earth shall be judge by His Son. Acts 17:31 declares
"He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead."
God has set the day. God will determine the outcome! Nothing has escaped, or can escape his eye. Justice will indeed be done.

And then, I love v 3, "When the earth totters, and all its inhabitants, it is I who keep steady its pillars." It seemed like that on election night, at least for me. And yet, I see God's steadying hand underlying all things. And I see the promise of vv 4-5 as well,
"I say to the boastful, 'Do not boast,' and to the wicked, 'Do not lift up your horn;
do not lift up your horn on high, or speak with haughty neck.'"
The proud and arrogant boaster of this world, whether Republican or Democrat, have their day. But it is God who gets the final say. The "horn" in Scripture almost always refers to someone's "strength", especially when they boast about it. When Republicans were in charge, they made many boasts, and yet accomplished very little they promised. Now the Democrats are in charge, having flooded the world with their promises -- most of which they will not fulfill. Man's best attempts at societal self-remedy will continue to fall short. God's purposes alone cannot fail, and therefore neither can His promises. It is to these I now cling.

(3) Remember that God is still in control vv 6-7 For not from the east or from the west and not from the wilderness comes lifting up, but it is God who executes judgment, putting down one and lifting up another." God willed this outcome! Can you doubt that? Now I don’t know if God has willed it for our blessing, or as an aspect of judgement. That’s not my call, right now. But I know this – “He works all things after the purpose of His will” Eph 1:11. And "in all things He is working for good, for those who love Him" Rm 8:28.

Thus v 8 continues...
For in the hand of the LORD there is a cup with foaming wine, well mixed,
and he pours out from it, and all the wicked of the earth shall drain it down to the dregs.
There is a righteousness in God that will hold every person to account for their sin -- not just the politicians, and not just liberals or conservatives -- but you and me as well! We are responsible for our actions. We will be held accountable for our words, for those things we have done, and those we've left undone. Rm 2:5 says that on account of our evil behavior we are “storing up wrath” for ourselves. And a day is coming when God will pour out his judgment on all mankind for the things we've done. You and I will face that judgment, unless it has been poured out on another in our place -- God's own Son whom He sent to be a propitiation for our sins (Rm 3:25; 1 Jn 4:10). A propitiation means "a sacrifice that takes away wrath." That's what Christ has done for his people, he has satisfied the wrath of God against our sin, by taking it upon Himself!

You may remember Jesus' prayer in the Garden just before He was crucified. He says, ”Father take this cup from me!” (Lk 22:42). What was in the cup? It was the cup of God’s wrath against our sin! Christ was about to drain it down to its dregs for his people. And he has now done so! He has taken the wrath of God for all who will be saved. But those outside of Christ, still have a cup to drink. God’s justice will be done.

Knowing that frees me to let the outcome of recent events remain in God's hands not mine. And not with bitterness, as if I want bad things to happen to those now in power. Not at all. For the sake of this nation I pray they govern well. But even if they don't. I know that God is still in control and -- in a nation like ours -- another elections cycle is coming. That allows me the joy of this final thing....

(4) Keep Praising and Trusting God for His Sovereign Grace vv 9-10 But I will declare it forever; I will sing praises to the God of Jacob. All the horns of the wicked I will cut off, but the horns of the righteous shall be lifted up.

The day is coming, when God will right every wrong, and punish all sin. Evil will be forever dethroned and righteousness forever exalted. And Christ's redeemed from every nation tribe and tongue of all the earth will praise Him forever and ever, to the praise of the glory of His grace.

It is to that day I am looking with hope!

Soli Deo Gloria,
SSL


1 comment:

Bob said...

I do so agree you my brother. it was an interesting election year as far as politics was concerned and other things, but the kingdom is at hand and we have work to do. Let's resist the work of the enemy and be faithful to the Lord in everything.