Rockport Sermon

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ministry Within and For the Family

The following reminder was sent out to our church by one of our elders, Will Jackson. I thought it was worth posting here.

Brothers in Christ
,

I've been wanting to say something about the priority God has given us in ministry. I think most of us know this, but maybe a reminder is helpful. We are to be a people fruitful in good works. God has prepared good works for us to walk in. Because of God's work in us, we are zealous for good works (Titus 2:14). But that starts with caring for our wives and then raising up our children. If we neglect them in order to do any kind of "church work", we are out of God's will.

What does caring for our wives look like? I'm sure it varies from marriage to marriage, but surely it's more than just providing for their physical needs. We are so busy in our culture, but take even what may seem like drastic action in order to have time to care for your wives.

I don't want to be legalistic, but praying with my wife on a regular basis for her, and together for our family, seems like one of the basics in the life of a Christian husband. My brother-in-law and sister would read a Psalm and pray together every night before going to bed. My parents would pray together each night before going to bed. I think that many of you have some kind of a routine like this. If you don't, I encourage you to work on it. Over the years it will be a precious thing through which the Lord will work and bless you, your marriage and your family.

Regularly taking a little time to open up the Scriptures and read to your children, making a few comments for understanding or application, seems to me another one of those basics when it comes to Christian parenting. Somehow make it a part of your routine; maybe right before dinner or right after breakfast, etc.

The command of Jesus is to love our neighbors. In the original, it doesn't necessarily mean those that live in the house next to us. It means those near us. No one is nearer to us than our wives and children. Caring for and ministering to them is the good work God has given for us to do.

Yours in Christ,
Will

No comments: